2009-10-08

'Everything that happens is from now on'

(Title taken from the lyrics in Re: Stacks by Bon Iver)

This blog has been written in Norwegian until this day, the language I of course feel closest to, but lately the fact that there are a lot of potential readers who don't understand my language has started sinking in. So every second month this blog will be in English, which means October, December, February etc. will be in English.

I have been waiting patiently for a subject to write about for a while now. And there, all of a sudden, it came.

Irving Penn is dead

''Many photographers feel their client is the subject,'' he explained in a 1991 interview in The New York Times. ''My client is a woman in Kansas who reads Vogue. I'm trying to intrigue, stimulate, feed her. ... The severe portrait that is not the greatest joy in the world to the subject may be enormously interesting to the reader.''

My impression of Penn is that he liked to study everything he photographed. As if he looked at everything the same way, whether it was a beautiful model, an old man or a plant, he looked at it and simply found it interesting to look at. So sharp. So elegant and simple. Some would say 'he treated his subjects as sculptures'. It is beautiful to look at, so I'm not going to dwell too much about the lack of energy and crazyness.

Photography-Now - Irving Penn

My introduction to Penn was at college when we were set to do interpretations of 'the great masters'...

Him:


Me:

No comments:

Post a Comment